State Crime Is Soviet's Real Sin, Says Hazard

Penalties for murder and rape in Soviet Russia rarely exceed ten years' imprisonment, because personal crimes are considered there as mere "hangovers from a bourgeois past," John Hazard, professor of Law at Columbia University's Russian Institute and U. S. Government adviser, declared yesterday at the Law School Forum in Langdell Court.

Real crimes in Russia are crimes against the state, Hazard said. Where murderers are regarded as curable, men convicted of crimes against the state are considered incurable.

Under this jurisprudence, wartime bootleg liquor dealers were punished severely on charges of contributing to inefficiency of workers and hindering war production.

Hazard, who was graduated from the Law School here in 1934, was an advisor to Justice Jackson at the Nuremburg trials and served as a guide to Henry Wallace on an outing to Siberia.

During the war he was chief liaison officer for Russian Lend-Lease, and he also served as adviser to the State Department on the intricacies of Russian Law, during some of its most crucial negotiations.