Yardlings Ape Eli Attack in Varsity Drill

Jackson Moved to Quarterback As Harlow Fights Clock to Install New Grid Maneuvers

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Preparations for the Crimson eleven's battle royal with Yale on Saturday reached near-fever pitch yesterday, as Coach Dick Harlow crammed every available minute of practice with his newly-installed offensive and defensive maneuvers.

The drill featured two scrimmage sessions, in which Coach Henry Lamar's Freshman outfit was employed in imitation of the Bulldogs on offense and defense against the Varsity "B" team. Harlow's first squad also worked with the Yardlings, but their activities involved no contact.

Two of the ailing regulars, Vince Moravec and Henry Goethals, confined themselves to light workouts with trainer Jimmy Cox, but Emil Drvaric participated in all of the "A" team drills, and seemed nearly healed from the injury sustained against Brown last week.

Proxy Levi Jackson

Playing the role of the renowned Levi Jackson, Hal Mofile, Yardling fullback, made considerable yardage in plunges and sweeps against the "B" squad. Jim Kenary, in imitation of quarterback Tex Furse, had less success with his forward passes.

During the offensive scrimmage, Paul Lazzaro was removed from the field with a slight arm bruise, but his injury was not believed to be serious.

Harlow, however, was obliged to call upon the services of Pete Petrillo, who took over the tailback duties for the rest of the practice period. He displayed his usual passing agility and form.

Earlier in the day, Harlow moved Bill Jackson, one of five Varsity tailbacks, to the quarterback post, and Jackson ran with the Crimson first team. The shift was an insurance measure, since Goethals, while expected to be ready for Yale, may not be at topflight effectiveness.

Cummings Rejoins Lineup

Len Cummings, who had been stricken with tonsillitis a few days before the Dartmouth contest, made his first practice appearance in ten days, and was used with the "B" team. He bolstered an end squad that is now minus the services only of George Hauptfuhrer, who was banged up against the Indians and is not expected to play on Saturday.

The "A" line yesterday was composed of Wally Flynn and John Florentine at ends, Ed Davis and Ned Dewey at tackles, Emil Drvaric and Nick Rodis at guards, and Jack Fisher at center, while the first backfield saw Chip Gannon at wingback. Bill Jackson at quarterback, Bob Cowen at fullback, and Cleo O'Donnell at tailback.