Vince Moravec Elected 1947 Football Captain

Varsity Fullback, Possessor of Purple Heart, Helped Beat Crimson with Sub Base Team

Vincent P. Moravec '50, of the Varsity Club and West Bridgewater, Pa., was elected captain of the 1947 Varsity football team yesterday afternoon at Dillon Field House by his 37 letter-holding teammates.

The new Crimson leader, who succeeds Cleo O'Donnell, was first-string fullback for Coach Dick Harlow throughout the season. He missed all but one play of the Yale game, however, because of a severs shoulder injury suffered against Brown the preceding week.

A 23-year-old veteran and holder of the Purple Heart, Moravec was graduated in 1941 from Beaver Falls, Pa., High School, where he played on the football, basketball, and baseball teams. He entered Lehigh University in the fall of 1941 and spent two years at that institution, during which time he was first-string fullback on the Lehigh eleven.

Vince enlisted in the Navy in the spring of 1943 and later that year was a member of the crew of the U.S.S. Lansdale, which was sunk off Anzio Beach. In that engagement, he was wounded in both legs.

Helped to Beat Harvard

His subsequent journeys in service led him in 1945 to the New London Submarine Base, and he was a fullback on the sub base eleven which thrashed Harvard, 18 to 7, last fall. After being discharged from the Navy as an electronic technician's mate second class in April of this year, Moravec entered College in June, and was Coach Adolph Samborski's first-line pitcher for the Crimson's informal summer baseball team.

His 200-pound, six-foot-three-inch frame was put to quick use his fall by Harlow, who calls him "one of the nicest boys to coach I've ever had."

Moravec showed steady improvement as the season progressed, both on offense and defense, and his achievements in the recently-ended season included the interception of a Princeton pass in the end zone to stave off a late Tiger threat; a 12-yard veer buck which produced the Varsity's winning touchdown against Holy Cross, and a one-man drive of 25 yards on seven carries and one forward pass which resulted in the second score against Dartmouth.

Although listed on the University's rolls as a member of the Class of 1950, Moravec will be graduated in June, 1948, and has one more season of football left to play. His field of concentration is Electronic Physics, and the new captain has Dean's List grades. He intends to do work in electronics after receiving his degree.