Psychologists Move in as Rutgers, Princeton Upsets Baffle Observers

By Donald M. Blinken

It looks as if football psychoanalysis will be the biggest new development in the game since the T formation was reincarnated. No one can safely predict who is going to win these days unless he knows what mood the athletes are in around two o'clock Saturday afternoon. The late debacle in the Stadium, together with the Princeton-Penn upset down in Franklin Field, show that, all other factors being about equal, the team that is "up" for the game will win.

Everyone agrees that the Scarlet were the smartest, best-coached outfit to visit the Stadium since 1942, and from a purely esthetic point of view, their alert backing-up and silk-smooth offensive machinations were delightful to behold. And throughout the nation this year, past season records, the size of undergraduate bodies, and batteries of press agents don't mean too much, for only eleven men are allowed to play at one time.

One reassuring note is the band, which remains undefeated in all competition. Resplendent in new three-button crimson jackets, the Soldiers Field "Symphony" spelled out an eight-yard "Welcome Rutgers," and the men from the banks of the Raritan proceeded to make themselves at home.

Bury the Dead

Sprawled out in a semi-conscious state on the forty-yard stripe, late in the game, a scarlet warrior provoked the quote of the afternoon from a slightly anxious Crimson rooter, who bellowed, "Bury him where he's lying--we haven't any time to waste."

Another interesting item came later in the evening from the Somerset Hotel, where the band leader, announcing that he was about to read football scores and play college tunes, was greeted by a chorus of groans and "no's" from the cash customers. "That's all right," said the maestro. "I'm not going to talk about Harvard."