Graduate School Hall Blueprinted For Jarvis Field

Provost Buck Announces Plans For New Housing Project to Meet Needs of Older Student

Plans now in the tentative stage are projecting a dormitory to provide living quarters for possibly 1000 students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the Law School, according to Provost Buck, who declared yesterday that this problem of the graduate had been receiving considerable thought for some time.

The dormitory, for which preliminary ground plans have been drawn but not yet approved by the Corporation, has as a tentative site the area formerly occupied by the Jarvis Field tennis courts and now taken up with the temporary veterans housing development.

Plans Not Definite

The Provost stated that the project is still at least four years away, and that it ranks behind the Lamont Library and the Science Center in priorities. Work on one or more of the new buildings may, however, be carried on concurrently, he said.

If the present ground plans are carried through, the graduate dormitory would be backed up on Everett Street, adjacent to the Sargent School, and have its facade filling the now open quadrangle bounded on the east and west by Pierce and Langdell, and on the south by the two physics laboratories Crufts and Jefferson.

Although the building would probably be planned to quarter almost three times as many students as any of the present undergraduate Houses, the Provost said that a much more modest scale of living would be offered the graduate student. One-room units will be standard, with enough room for bed, armchair, desk, closet, and a washbowl in each. Common showering and toilet facilities are envisaged for the projected structure.

To Include Activities Space

To supplant the individual living rooms, the Provost said more emphasis would be placed on the construction of common rooms and smaller spaces in the building suitable for holding seminars and housing the various clubs and activities.

Provost Buck also cited the long background of need in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the Law School for proper housing accomodations. At present a small number of men in the two schools are living in Conant, Perkins, and Walter Hastings Halls, but the majority of the graduates have been forced to find quarters in and around crowded Cambridge and, until the Vanserg cafeteria opened early this term, have had no common place to eat, the Provost added.