U. S. Policy Unchanged, Vandenberg Says

Political Cooperation Sought

LAKE SUCESS, N. Y., Nov. 8--Senator Arthur H. Vandenberg (R-Mich.) told the United Nations in a post-election statement today that it could count on the whole-hearted cooperation of the United States in the quest for peace regardless of what political regime sat in Washington.

Vandenberg's remarks were made as speculation mounted over Russia's Pacific island policy after an unexplained Soviet postponement of a speech generally expected to answer the United States' take-it-or-leave-it offer of limited U. N. trusteeship over the Japanese mandated islands.

These developments came as the United States maintained its position in three other controversies before the U. N.:

1. The American delegation decided to continue supporting a proposal asking the Security Council to reconsider its rejection of U. N. membership applications from Ireland, Portugal, Trans-Jordan, Albania and Outer Mongolia.

2. On the long-debated Spanish issue, the United States has not changed its policy calling for condemnation of the France regime and also maintains opposition to any "coercive action" such as a worldwide break in diplomatic relations with Madrid as proposed by Poland and economic sanctions as fostered by White Russia.

3. Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt vigorously defended the right of European refugees to decide whether they wish to return to their home countries, as opposed to repeated Russian demands by Andrei Y. Vishinsky, Soviet Deputy Foreign Minister, that all be forced to return.