Puckmen Top Boston U., 5-4, On Arena Ice

Sears Nets Winning Goal in Ten Minute Overtime Frame To Break a 4-4 Deadlock

By Jay K. Welss

With more than 200 belligerent Crimson fans egging them on at the Boston Arena, the Varsity hockey team last night carved out a 5 to 4 victory over a highly favored Boston University squad in a ten minute overtime period. The winning counter was registered by Wally Sears with only one minute and 43 seconds to go on an assist by Shaw McKean and Sid Greeley.

Interspersed with a see-saw opening battle that M.I.T. snatched from Northeastern by the same 5 to 4 margin, the evening's encounter provided a blood-thirsty crowd with a series of thrills that lasted well past midnight.

Just before the whistle sounded to end the hard-fought second frame two fast goals within 20 seconds of each other by center Dave Farrell pulled the Crimson to a 3 to 3 deadlock. A marker by B.U.'s Clopeck at 1:03 of the final period sent the Terriers into a short-lived lead, but at 4:11 Sears dented the nets for the Crimson on an assist from behind the goal by Sid Greeley to knot the score at 4 to 4.

Crimson Threatens Late

The swift skating Varsity line kept the puck down in B.U. ice during the closing minutes, with a ragged passing attack and an aggressive Terrier defense preventing them from scoring again in the third stanza.

When six penalties were recorded against the Varsity in the bruising second period, it was largely the valiant stick work of goalie Jack Lavalle, abetted by dogged defenseman George Tilghman that prevented the B.U. advantage from mounting higher than 2 to 1. On the offensive, the Crimson was hampered by a cautious style of play that kept the two safety men well back in their home territory.

First blood was drawn for the Cantabs last night by Bill Hamlin at 3:03 on a play that broke straight down the middle with an assist from Lou Preston. From then on the battle was wide open as 12 offenders were sent to the penalty box in the course of the proceedings.

Starting for the Crimson were Lavalle, g; Taylor, rd; Glidden, ld; Farrell, c; Crocker, rw; and Feloney, lw. Spares were: Hamlin, Preston, Ayers, Greeley, McKean, Sears, Howes, Tilghman, Taylor, and Gebelein.