25 Delegates Make Plans in Meeting Here

Issues of Chicago Conference Analyzed by Representatives Of 16 New England Colleges

Twenty-five New England delegates to the Chicago Student Conference met yesterday afternoon in Phillips Brooks House and, in discussions which dragged on until late in the evening, waded through a maze of controversial issues and proposals in an attempt to reach some tentative decisions on courses to follow at the conference opening on December 28.

As to the problem of supporting the International Union of Students recently branded communistic by William Y. Elliot, professor of Government, the New Englanders decided on a three point program--first, temporarily to back the current American officers and representatives to the I.U.S.; second, to favor permanent affiliation with an international organization; and third, to support affiliation with the I.U.S. as that international organization if it proves a democratic and representative body.

Supports Texas Proposal

At first disagreeing rather violently with a mailed proposal of the Texas delegation that the new national students group be restricted to college students only, the New England representatives eventually agreed to exclude existing student and youth organizations. It was decided to support giving them advisory representation but no voting power.

Called to lay the groundwork for a proposed American National Students Organization, the Chicago meeting will set up a committee to work out definite proposals during the winter to be submitted to a full-scale constitutional assembly scheduled for next June.

Stressing that their meeting was in no way to be construed a measure to organize a solid voting block to dominate the three-day conference, the delegates, representing 16 colleges and youth organizations and including the four Harvard nominees, characterized their caucus as an effort to clarify the issues involved and lay down some concrete suggestions for action at Chicago.

400 Expected

On the first day of the conference, registration and speeches will take up most of the time while on the second day the delegates, expected to number about 400, will split into four groups, called panels, to work on specific issues. The third day will be spent ratifying the proposals of the panels and in electing and appointing officers and committees.