Rockwell Chosen To Lead '50 Five

Star Player Picked as Cagers Prepare for Initial Contest Tonight Against MIT Jayvees

John R. Rockwell, of Straus Hall and Wabash, Indiana, was elected captain of the Freshman basketball team on the eve of their first game against the M.I.T. Jayvees.

Rockwell, a six foot three inch forward, has shown great scoring ability in practices as he is equally effective with set shots and right or left hand push shots.

He previously played at Wabash High School, where he set a conference scoring record by racking up 251 points in 12 contests. During the entire season he scored 470 points while his team was winning 20 and dropping four. Rockwell capped his all-round performance by leading his five into the semi-finals of the state tournament.

Tonight's game against Teach will give a good indication as to the potentialities of the team. Coach Warren Berg '44, while optimistic about his quintet's chances, admits that he is far from everconfident. He stated works together, the Tech Jayvees will be older and probably more experienced. a decisive win in the curtain raiser is always a great boost to the morale of the players, and Berg wants this game.

Besides Rockwell, the starting lineup will include Frank Lionette at the other forward, Pat Dailey at center, and Dick Covey and Chuck Brynteson or Dick Reifsnyder at guards.