Ski Team Prepares For Coming Meets

Coached by Kris Berg, the former member of the Norwegian underground who left the field 16 seconds behind in the Gibson Trophy Race two weeks ago, the ski team, has recruited some expert material from among returnees and new students just entered.

Broken bindings and stiff competition from all over the country put the Crimson skiers near the bottom of the heap at the Dartmouth Carnival last week end, but time trials at Big Bromley Mountain and jumping practice at Brattlebore tomorrow and Sunday should reinforce the odds on Harvard in future meets.

Will Cochran, with a class "A" card from before the war, stands out among the new downhill and slalom prospects, while Al Butler continues in his role as the team's mainstay. Sam King and Hans Estin proved themselves at the Vermont meet the week end before last.

Ted Wright, Jean Raindel, and Bob Cabot are some of the new acquisitions on whom Manager John Kennedy is stak the team's future.

A 36-meter leap at Dartmouth assures Dick Rich of a steady job with the jumping contingent, while Wendy Smith showed unmistakable aptitude for cross country running, when his bindings broke in the middle of the race last Sunday, by crossing the finish line with his skis tied on to his long underwear.

Other likely contestants, in the two latter categories especially, are Don Watt, G. M. Edgarton, Ernst Petschek, and Toby Ross.

Plans for the Harvard Invitation Meet at Big Bromley March 9 and 10 are almost completed, Kennedy announced yesterday, with unanimous acceptances promising to make it the biggest college ski event of the year.