Varsity Hockey Team to Face Dartmouth Tonight As Underdogs at Boston Arena

Old Rivalry Renewed With Eli Conquerers

Facing its stiffest battle of the year, Coach Johnny Chase's Varsity hockey team takes the ice in the Boston Arena at 8:30 o'clock tonight, a decided underdog against a talented Dartmouth sextet.

A victory over the Big Green would give the Crimson three wins as against two losses and one tie for this season. Comparative scores show that Dartmouth split a two-game series with Yale, losing the first 6 to 4, and taking the second 6 to 5, while Harvard bowed to the Elis last week by a 9 to 2 count. Eddie Jeremiah's squad enters this fifty-fifth contest between the Green and Crimson with a season record of our wins and two losses.

Drastic revisions in the Harvard lineup move Captain Bill Ayres from right wing to left defense and Bramwell Arnold into Ayres' old position.

Kept out of the last two games by illness, Ayres has returned to practice this week. Arnold, who has just entered College, was a football and hockey star in school.

Crimson Holds Series Edge

Leading the Indians in scoring have been Bruce Cunliffe, Bruce Mather, and Ralph Warburton. A Jeremiah-coached Dartmouth team has never lost to the Crimson, winning 12 and tying two. Harvard holds the edge, however, in the series, which started in 1907, taking 31 while giving Dartmouth 20 and tying 3, including the most recent game in 1943. Over several years, before their defeat this winter, the Hanoverians were undefeated for 46 straight games.

Bob Cowen, Bill Loring, and Jerry Andrews, regular members of the Crimson team at the start of the season, are no longer available for competition. Newcomers to the squad in addition to Arnold who may see action tonight are Dave Thompson, a former Deerfield Academy player, and Andrew Henry of Brookline.

Probable lineups: HARVARD  DARTMOUTH Arnold, l.w.  r.w., Cunliffe Fenoney, c.  c., Mather Crocker, r.w.  l.w., Warburton Ayres, l.d.  r.d., Kraatz Tilghman, r.d.  l.d., Cannon Knowles, g.  g., Desmond