Spring Grid Meeting Brings 71 Hopefuls to Varsity club

Successor for Clark To Be Chosen Soon

"We will use the system that our boys seem most adapted to," Coach Harlow stated last night prior to the first candidates, meeting at the Varsity Club at which 71 potential grid stars appeared to initiate spring practice.

Pointing out that the Crimson system of play has changed three times within the past eight years, Harlow said that tactics for next fall will not be outlined until no determines more exactly just what material will be available.

As yet, many of the 71 candidates are unknowns from whom the coaching staff hopes to produce another Franny Loe, Loren McKinney, or Club Peabody. Although Harlow was disappointed to learn that Bill Fisher, bulwark of last year's line, will probably graduate before next fall, he will have a strong nucleus with which to work of men who saw action last year and returning veterans of prewar elevens.

Those who will be available from last year's team are Bill McDaniel at end, Chet Pierce and John Coan at tackle, Ned Dewey and Frank LeBart at guard, and Pete Harwood, Chuck Roach, Bill Jackson, Tom Tennant, Ken O'Donnell, Leo Flynn, and Bill Meilke in the backfield.

Harlow expects to announce the successor to Lyal Clark's line coaching spot within the next few days, filling the gap left by Clark's departure for a position with the University of Pittsburgh.