The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

John Maynard Keynes

With the death of Baron Keynes of Tilton, the world mourns the loss of a poet-philosopher statesman. A position, an influence, an intellectual depth and vigor unrivalled in the modern world were his; his, too, was an ability to commit his thought, often abstruse, into solutions for the concrete working problems of society.

The work of John Maynard Keynes had an importance transcending economic exploration or probility theory. A liberal of humanitarian principles, he foretold his future when he resigned his position as Treasure representative at the Versailles Conference that he might oppose the ridiculous economic burdens being placed upon a prostrate Germany. An acquaintance with his work shows a man who labored unceasingly to develop a method of escape for a stagnant society.

His death at the age of 62 was undoubtedly brought about by a strain which he placed upon all ready weakened heart. With the knowledge that he was not fit for such labor, he continued to fight that world peace be based upon world prosperity, that each man should have his economic needs. He died in service, not to the nation which had honored him, but to the entire world community.