N.U. Varsity Nine Topples Crimson With Last Spurts

7-2 Loss Ends Win Streak as Phelan Double, Steals, Ties Score, But Succumbs in 8th

Northeastern University proved too strong for the Varsity baseball team Thursday, snapping the Crimson's three game winning streak with a 7 to 2 trimming on Soldiers Field.

Right-hander Joe Phelan held the huskies to two runs in the first seven innings and even doubled to drive in one of the Stahlmen's two tallies, stealing home to tie the score, but he was unable to halt an eighth inning relay that cost the game. The Varsity nine will be seeking its fifth win after losing five for the season when it faces Dartmouth at Hanover this afternoon.

The Pitcher's double was hit in the fifth after catcher Arman Essayen had singled. Phelan's blow carried well over the left lelder's head, allowing Essayen to score. Then, later in the inning, he scored on a double steal with Saul Mariaschin.

Coach Stahl's moundmen, it seems, do not realize that pitchers are not supposed to be able to hit. Norm Wholley started the trend Monday, getting two hits in his win over the sailors of the U.S.S. Washington.

Although the score was tied at 2 all in the fifth inning, the Crimson batters were unable after that to work another man around the circuit. Bob Bagwell, pitching for the Huskies, held the Stahlmen, indeed, to six scattered hits for the game and allowed only one base on balls.

Northeastern scored twice in the fourth, twice more in the eighth, and three times in the ninth when lefty John Knowles came in for relief work. In addition to ten hits for the afternoon, the Huskies picked up eight walks, six from Phelan and two from Knowles. HARVARD   ab  r  h  po  a  e Mariaschin, 2b  4  0  1  4  2  0 Swegan, ss  4  0  0  2  1  0 Petrillo, cf  4  0  0  2  0  0 Fitz, lb  4  0  1  5  0  0 Rodis, rf  3  0  2  3  1  0 Harford, lf  4  0  0  1  0  1 Copplinger 3b  3  0  0  4  3  0 *Allen  1  0  0  0  0  0 Essayen, e  4  1  1  5  2  0 Phelan, P  3  1  1  1  1  0 Knowles, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  34  2  6  27  10  1 *Batted for Coppinger in ninth