Harvard Lampoon Claims The Crimson Endorsed Trump at Pennsylvania Rally

Mass. DCR to Begin $1.5 Million Safety Upgrades to Memorial Drive Monday

Sports

Harvard Football Topples No. 16/21 UNH in Bounce-Back Win

Sports

After Tough Loss at Brown, Harvard Football Looks to Keep Ivy Title Hopes Alive

Harvard’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Increased by 2.3 Percentage Points in 2023

The Bookshelf

A SOLD IN TOM-TOMS, by Gene Fowler. Viking 1946, 390 pp., $3.00.

For a large number of disconcerted readers who are mystified by some of the modern excursions into versification, Robert Hillyer's "First Principles of Verse" will allow them to regain their equilibrium by its clear presentation of the fundamental elements of poetry. It is a practical, elementary handbook for the poet or critic, but its significance lies in the ultra-conservative attitude of this well-known modern poet, who has been completely uninfluenced by the meanderings of some of his contemporaries.

The first part of the book called "The Technique of Verse," might be termed old stuff and could as well be found in a school text book. However, in the next chapter, "The Workshop," the author chooses from a vast supply of poems sent to him for anaylsis, and spends his time tearing them apart with specific criticism. This is an excellent section for it shows as clearly as possible the differences between goods poetry and bad, standing side by side and phrase by phrase. But it is unfortunate that the author did not analyze some free verse, which he later criticizes as aimlessness and experimentalism, and show precisely its shortcomings.

In the final part, a lecture on "Some-roots in English Poetry," Professor Hillyer decries free verse because it has broken with the traditions of English poetry. "It is quite clear," he adds, "that a good poet must be at home in his countryside and his world, and must be at one with the great spirit and traditions of the past." But it is hard to agree completely that new form cannot be found for new thoughts, and that such expression can not also be poetry. Be that as it may, however, Mr. Hillyer as a poet and a teacher has written a valuable book for anyone interested in verse.