Crimson Track Squad Sends Eight Men to IC4A Games

Fisher Brothers, Harwood, Torrey, Jackson, Fritts, Clark, and Captain Hunter Will Participate in Championship Meet To Be Conducted at Annapolis This Afternoon

By Wallace I. Green

Eight men from the Crimson track squad yesterday left Cambridge for Annapolis, where they will take part in the IC4-A championships this afternoon. Making the trip are Wille and Jack Fisher, Poto Harwood, Owen Torrey, Bill Jackson, Herb Fritts, Bob Clark, and Captain Jack Hunter.

Jackson and the two Fishers are specialists in the weight events and they will be seen in the shot put, the discus and the hammer throw. Jack Fisher came close to breaking the University's record for the hammer in the Yale meet when he threw it a distance of 168 feet 2 inches. Jack also took first in the quadrangular meet at Dartmouth.

Last Saturday, Willo won the event in the Heptagonal Games at Princeton with a heave of 153 feet, 61/2 inches. His best mark of this year is 157 feet, 1/2 inch.

Ace polo vaulter Pete Harwood has yet to be beaten this year, taking first in all of the five meets in which he has participated. Last week he cleared 12 feet, 6 inches and his best mark so far this year is 12 feet 8 inches which he made in the dual meet against Yale.

Harwood's Shadow

Owen Torrey, also a polo vaulter, has been performing pretty much in Harwood's shadow all spring. Several times he has grabbed second-he was tied for second in the Heptagonals-but he has never been able to top his adroit team-mate.

Bill Jackson, one of Jaakko Mikkola's standbys in the discus and the shot put, has been a steady performer all spring, even though the competition provided by Doc Blanchard and Ralph Davis of West Point was a little too much for him last week.

Against Yale Jackson put the shot 47 feet 101/8 inches, his best mark of the year, and hurled the discus 136 feet 83/4 inches, also his top performance.

Clarke To Run 440

Bob Clarke has run the quarter mile four times and has won the quarter mile four times. He also has been used in the 220 but will not be today. His best time for the 440 is 49.8 seconds, which he clocked against Yale.

Now sticking strictly to low hurdles after alternating between the lows and the highs throughout most of the spring is Jack Hunter, captain of the track team. He'll participate in his specialty this afternoon. Against Yale he made his best clocking, covering the distance in 24.4 seconds.

In recapitulation, just about all the top marks set by the team this year were made in the dual meet with the Elis, showing again that the Crimson seems to put out its best efforts against its traditional rivals.