Varsity Squad to Meet Brown Bear In Return Battle

Joe Phelan on Mound as Ball Team Seeks Fifth Victory of Season This Afternoon at 3

Seeking its fifth win in 11 starts, the Varsity baseball team will play host to Brown this afternoon at 3 o'clock on Soldiers Field. Joe Phelan is slated to do the pitching against a Brain squad that lost to the Crimson earlier this season by a 4 to 1 count.

Right-hander Phelan, who has two wins for the season against two losses, will be attempting to repeat Johnny Knowles' feat in the first contest when he held Brown to two hits in the five and a half innings that were played before rain interfered.

The Providence nine has suffered five losses so far this season in addition to the defeat at the hands of the Crimson and have scored two wins, over Tufts, 12 to 0, and Connecticut, 7 to 5. The Bruins' chief trouble in their tangle with the Stahlmen was shortstop, Bob Brownell, who fumbled weak hits often enough to get credited with four errors.

Because Jack Coppinger, regular third baseman, will be busy with exams this afternoon, Coach Floyd Stahl will start either Jack Forte, who has seen service in left field, or Pete Petrillo, a center fielder, in the hot corner.