Nine Elects Swegan Captain, Faces Powerful B.U.; Phelan Will Start

Don Swegan, aco shortstop, was elected captain of this year's Varsity baseball team following practice yesterday. In today's game, scheduled here for 3 o'clock, Joe Phelan will take the mound for the second time this week in an attempt to halt a strong, well-rounded Boston University nine.

Coach Stahl said last night that he rates the Boston U. club a tough outfit to beat, but the Crimson diamond men may, with the breaks among their way, be able to down the vaunted Terriers.

He reported Captain Swegan's spiked band in good condition, and, although it has bothered his hitting, he should be "in good form by tomorrow." He reports, also, that much improved Armon Essayen may start behind the plate.

Winning pitcher in the Crimson's only victory, a 4 to 1 beating handed Tufts Tuesday. Phelan enters this afternoon's contest with a record of one loss against the Tufts win.

The Terriers will assign their pitching duties to Dick Snow, the hurler who handed Northeastern its first defeat of the season this week. A left-hander, from Cloucester, Snow went in as a relie" pitcher in the first B.U. go against the Huskies and blanked them for four innings. He allowed only five hits in this week's nine innings.

With Swegan's hand slowing his hitting down to a weak two hits for nine trips to the plate in this week's games, Bill Fitz stepped into the batting spotlight with a sizzling six hits for eight times at bat Tuesday and Wednesday.