Activity Leaders Press Council for Prague Delegate

Final Decision on College Role In International Conference To Await Thursday Meeting

Representatives of nearly all extra-curricular activities and two house chairmen recommended overwhelmingly at last night's Council Meeting to send a delegate to the International Student Conference at Prague this summer, from August 17 to 31.

Some concern was expressed for the leftist complexion such an organization might assume, but only one vote was ultimately registered in dissent. The Council will meet again Thursday for a final deciding vote on the proposal, and President Thomas L. P. O'Donnell '47 declared it was "not unlikely" that the consensus of last night's gathering would be followed.

Agenda Outlined

Miss Alice M. Norton, speaking for the American Preparatory Committee for the Conference, outlined the scheduled agenda of the Prague conclave, which she said would cope with the post-war role of all youth on behalf of international cooperation and world peace. The delegate would represent the New England area, and would join a large United States delegation drawn from other colleges and youth groups.

Last night's proposals on nominating and electoral procedure for picking the delegate were designed to combine maximum democracy with the insurance of the most effective selection. With the former in mind it was voted to include the heads of student activities with the members of the Council in constituting the nominating committee. A move to include the house chairmen was rejected.

Divided earlier in the evening between a multitude of election schemes, strong support quickly rallied towards complete popular election. The publicity value of this plan was considered a strong factor in its favor.

The cost of sending a delegate has been estimated at $700. Opposing a special drive to raise this money, the group unanimously urged that the Council appropriate the needed amount from its regular funds.

First of proposals to be considered by the Council, last night's program was voted upon by members of all activities, from whose membership it was expected that a delegate would be chosen.