Herring Chosen Director of U.N. Atomic Energy Group

Acts as Chief of Secretariat To 12-Nation Commission; On Faculty Here Since 1928

E. Pendleton Herring, associate professor of Government currently on leave of absence from the University, has been appointed acting director of the United Nations Atomic Energy Commission Group, UN officials in New York disclosed yesterday.

A spokesman for the atomic energy group also revealed that Professor Herring's appointment had taken effect last Tuesday, and the meetings of the organization are currently in progress.

A newly-formed unit of UN, the Commission is currently in the organizational stage, and all that could be learned yesterday is that it will be composed of representatives of the 11 Security Council member nations and Canada, and that a Dr. Frey, of Prague, Czechoslovakia, will be chairman.

Professor Herring acts as Secretary of the Commission and chief of its secretariat. His office will be at Hunter College in the Bronx.

Left University July 1

On leave of absence from the University since July 1 of this year, the new UN appointee was graduated from John Hopkins University in 1925 and earned his Ph.D. there three years later. He holds an honorary A.M. from Harvard. From 1928 to 1937, he was an instructor in Government here; from 1937 to 1939, an assistant professor of Government, and from 1939-43, a lecturer. He became an associate professor in 1944. In 1937, he was appointed Secretary of the Grad- uate School of Public Administration.

He has been a consultant to the War Department's Bureau of Budgets, executive secretary of the War Administration's Committee on Records and editor-in-chief of Public Administration Review. In the spring of 1940, he joined the Carnegie Corporation of New York, an organization with capital assets of over 170 million dollars, as chief or staff for expenditures designed to foster international understanding and cooperation. Because Dr. Herring's new UN duties are closely related to his Carnegie Corporation work, the corporation has released him for an indefinite period