Council to Solicit Cash From Student Body, Faculty Men As Food Drive Opens Today

Dean Relaxes Rules Forbidding Door to Door Collection for $10,000 Famine Relief Fund

All soliciters for the Harvard Food Relief Committee will give to contributors a printed receipt, containing a serial number, the sum of the donation, and the signature of the solicitor. Students are warned not to give cash to anyone who cannot give them an official receipt.

Every member of the University, including the Faculty, will be solicited this week by the Harvard Food Relief Committee, which begins its new fund-raising drive today, with $10,000 as the goal.

Dean Hanford's first act upon returning from his vacation yesterday was to give permission to the Committee to solicit contributions personally within the College Houses and dormitories.

Door to Door Campaign

This decision, which backs up recommendations made by the Student Council earlier in the summer, was reached only because of the urgent need for food in the foreign universities which the Committee plans to help, since door to door solicitations have been prohibited by the joint action of the Student Council and the Dean's Office since 1939.

Students living outside College buildings, numbering 1,400, are being mailed the Committee's folder and a return envelope. They may contribute most easily by sending a check, according to the Committee, but those who prefer may leave their contribution with a representative who will be stationed in Widener Library from 9 to 5 o'clock on Thursday and Friday of this week. All checks should be made payable to The Harvard Food Relief Committee.

Faculty on New Mailing List

On Friday, Provost Buck gave his permission to the Committee to solicit the College faculty through the University Mail Service, and it is hoped that the entire faculty of the University may be added to this mailing list to reach a total of about 2,000 possible contributors.

Financial insolvency will not be accepted as an excuse by the solicitors, according to Richard D. Campbell, Jr. '43, chairman of the committee, who says that a loan of five dollars will be arranged for any student who wishes to contribute, and that anyone wishing to make such a loan interest free for one month should call KIR 9410.

Results of a survey of 20 colleges and universities in this country show an increasing awareness of the world's hunger and the fellow-feeling which exists among American students for their fellow students abroad.

Without any solicitations from student committees, Oberlin and the Universityof Minnesota sent checks to the Unitarian Service Committee totaling $1,750. In other colleges, organized campaigns produced the following results: at Barnard, with a student body of 1,500, $2,500; at Wellesley, with slightly more than 1,600 students, $4,000; at Smith, with an enrollment of 2,000, $3,300.

Yale raised $1,682 in a campaign similar to the program last spring at the University which collected $3,400. "Naturally, we are glad that we did better than Yale," Chairman Campbell said, "but we are not pleased to have been so clearly outrun by such schools as Smith, Barnard, and Oberlin, who averaged three times as much as we did, and by Swarthmore, where the college community of 1,100 people contributed an average of $6 per person for European food relief."

In the folder describing the work of the Committee, the list of "food that your five dollars will buy" should include, in addition to the other items, two pounds of powdered milk, which costs 96 cents.