International Dinner Date

For the first time since 1939 the University has granted an organization permission to solicit funds on a door-to-door basis. The circumstances underlying this situation are so obvious that they require little explanation. The case, simply stated, is that students in European universities are starving; students in this country enjoy, comparatively speaking, a superabundance of the necessities of life. Therefore it is only right that we should help those in need.

The Food Committee has set $10,000 as its goal, a sum far less than the amount spent weekly by the students of this University on dates and other recreation. If every member of the University would contribute the cost of one evening's recreation to the Food Drive, the Fund would be oversubscribed. Relief organizations have found that five dollars will feed a European university student for three weeks; the price of a movie for two people will pay the cost of one week's food.

General Eisenhower stated several months ago that "Hungry men make wars." The present critical situation in Europe cannot begin to be resolved until the people concerned can at least obtain the bare necessities of life. The resources of the Harvard Food Committee are not large, so they have decided to concentrate on alleviating the conditions of a small but promising group: the university students. The price of one night's entertainment is a small sacrifice.