Stahl Returns to Ohio State; Diamond, Cage Posts Open

Diminutive Mentor Coached '45 Aggregation Headed by Gray To Record Year, Tournament

Three-sport coach Floyd Stahl has departed from his post as top mentor of the Crimson baseball and basketball Varsities to return to Ohio State, where he once served as head baseball coach and assistant in football and basketball from 1930 to 1938.

His decision, released by the H.A.A. last Friday, leaves top niches in basketball and baseball here open for new appointments. Stahl had supervised the diamond squad since his arrival in Cambridge eight years ago.

During the war years, he temporarily assumed guidance of the basketball squad which last winter turned in one of the Crimson's most successful records, earning it the right to represent the New England colleges at the National Collegiate Championship tournament at Madison Square Garden.

Victory Earns Him Promotion

Although his original venture into basketball here was on an informal basis, some of the glory of the first formal postwar team was conferred upon Stahl in his elevation to head coach of the Cantabrigian quintet.

Stahl's first four baseball seasons were less than spectacular, with few serious assaults on the first division in Ivy League competition, but his last group of batsmen to be unaffected by the war hauled down a second place in the 1942 season.

On the upgrade since the doldrums of informal play during the last four years, the tutees of Ohio State's new mentor matched win for loss last spring to wind up on the dead center of the scale.

At Ohio State University, where Stahl will assume his duties next week, he will return to assume the top baseball spot he left in 1938 and will in addition help out in administrative work. A graduate of the University of Illinois in 1926, he had been coaching high school athletics in Dayton, Ohio when he accepted an offer from the Buckeyes in 1930.

Short, diminutive Coach Stahl will probably be best remembered in Cambridge circles as the talented guiding hand that sent the first Crimson basketball squad to the Madison Square Garden floor. Paced by wonder-man Wyndol Gray, last year's aggregation more than compensated for earlier Stahl outfits that managed to taste glory only by beating M.I.T.

The almost entirely NROTC squad lost only one regular season encounter, to a top-notch Holy Cross team, and then succumbed to powerful N.Y.U. and Ohio State in the National Intercollegiate contest.