Crimson WPI Booters Meet Today in Season's Lead-Off

MacDonald Will Field 'Better Than Average' Squad in First Formal Soccer Since War

First of the fall teams to open its schedule, the Varsity soccer eleven takes the Business School field this afternoon at 4 o'clock against a Worcester Polytechnic Institute squad which is something of an unknown quantify. After only a week of practice Coach Mac MacDonald feels he already has a better than average team worked up to open Crimson's first post-war formal soccer season.

The starting lineup for the contest will probably find Dick Harshman in the goal for the Crimson booters while two members of former Varsity teams, Al Merck and Dick Forster, will start in the full-back slots. Dave Ogden, Hunt Mavor, and Gus Seamans are the tentative starters at the halfback posts.

Captain Blanco Starts at I.R.

Three Spanish-speaking booters from the South and Central Americas will be on the opening forward line. They are Captain Carlo Blanco at inside right, Jose del Rio on the outside right, and Gaston Azcarraga stationed at the inside left position. More punch to the attack will be added by Phil Potter, starting at center forward, and Bill Dawson on the outside left.

Several potential starters were lost for this afternoon's game because they failed to report early enough in the week to be scheduled for the required H.A.A. athletic physical exams, but in spite of his handicap plenty of reserve strength will be available should MacDonald have to make many changes in his first team.

"I don't know much about this WPI team," MacDonald said yesterday, "but they always have an experienced outfit so we will not have a first game pushover."