Counsel Shrouds Parkhurst's Move In Hearing Today

Arraignment of Alfred B. Parkhurst on United States Government charges appears on the docket of the Federal District Commissioner of Boston today, but whether the alleged forger will seek a preliminary hearing or waive this right was withheld by his counsel last night.

Harland B. Newton, taking charge of defense, declined comment on his intentions, but said that if his client went nolo contendere in the proceedings, the case would go directly to the Federal Grand Jury for speedy indictment.

Since Newton, a graduate of the Law School, assumed chare of the case last Wednesday, a shroud of silence has contrasted with the earlier flurry of reports that attended Parkhurst's arrest.

For the first 48 hours of his confinement in the East Cambridge Jail, evidence of Parkhurst's high Washington connections, associations with the social registry of the Eastern seaboard, a divorced Alabama wife, and a narcotics collection, snowballed into an avalanche.

No additional light will be cast at this time on Parkhurst's "all for the love of a lady" explanation of his possession of illegal drugs, said the attorney, preserving the revelation of her identity for the Federal bar.