Brown Freshmen Hand Hoopsters First Loss, 46-45

Brown's once-defeated Freshman five dropped the first blot on the Crimson yearlings' previously unblemished record last night as they squeezed out a 46 to 45 victory in the Indoor Athletic Building's most thrilling offering to date for the '46-'47 season.

Leading 42 to 39 with five minutes to go, the Yardling quintet succumbed to a Bruin surge led by Frank Mahoney and Ben Patrick and three minutes later was on the short end of a 46 to 42 score. Center Pat Dailey's two-pointer under the basket and high-scorer John Rockwell's foul shot with slightly more than a minute to play brought the Crimson to 45, but the crowd came to its feet in vain with five seconds remaining as Rockwell's one-hander slithered off the rim and the horn sounded.

Ragged First Period

Both teams started sloppily with Brown taking over at the half, 20 to 18, aided by a fast-breaking offensive and the effective shackling of Rockwell, accustomed to hitting at least the twenties, by Mahoney. Two quick baskets by Chuck Brynteson just before the whistle cut down the Bruins' six-point advantage.