M. P. Praises Labour Policy Inside Empire

Gordon-Walker, Visiting Briton, Propounds Aims of English Government to Liberal Union

Unbounded confidence in the future of the "far-reaching social revolution" being wrought in Great Britain by the Labour Government was expressed last night by Patrick C. Gordon-Walker, Labour Member of Parliament, speaking at the New Lecture Hall under the sponsorship of the Liberal Union.

"The aims of the new government are two: to secure and maintain full employment, and to erect an adequate system of social security for all," Gordon-Walker asserted. "It does not regard starving men as free. One cannot enjoy liberty unless certain assurances and securities are guaranteed."

Describing the British people as having "matured politically" during the war years, Gordon-Walker, Parliamentary Secretary of Herbert Morrison, attributed the victory of the labour forces in 1945 to the fact that the citizens could no longer be fooled by "Conservative tricks."

By "traditional imperialism in reverse," he stated, "the Labour Government will save and recreate the Empire." He explained that the foreign policy of his party is comparable to that of the Conservatives mainly because "the Continent is still only 21 miles away."

"The only way we could break completely from the old foreign policy," he added, "is to become a third of fourth-rate power, and we do not want that."

Most representative political group in England today, the Labour Party, Gordon-Walker said, received a strong vote of confidence in a recent by-election.