Crimson Soccer Teams Tackle Amherst Today

Besides liquid fraternity parties and Indian fighters, the ivied College of Amherst annually produces good soccer teams. This afternoon James MacDonald's Varsity and Jayvee squads run into the 1947 editions of the Lord Jeff booters on their field 20 minutes from Smith College.

Here in Cambridge the Freshman team will play an unofficial scrimmage with the Watertown soccer club, a team in the Boston District Semi-Pro League.

With nine lettermen from last year's team that handed the Crimson a 5 to 3 setback, the men from Amherst rate as one of the better teams the Varsity will face this year. Last week they beat McGill College in a close 2 to 1 decision but the Montrealers are probably the best college team in Quebec.

Although they got out of last Friday's tussle with West Point with no injuries, scrimmages during the week have left the Crimson below strength with the two starting halfbacks unlikely to play the whole game. On the forward line, Kenny Chun will not be available and starting inside Carlos Blanco will have to pass a last minute physical examination this morning before he gets clearance to play.

Two Types of Play

Coach MacDonald figures this afternoon's game to be somewhat of a repitition of the Army contest in that once again the issue will be whether a slambang type of play will break up the Crimson's short passing attack. West Point, probably the roughest team in the East, failed to do that and the Crimson won, 3 to 2, in overtime.

The probable starting lineup: Batchelder, g.; Scully, l.f.; Burrowes, r.f.; Mavor (capt.) l.h.; Ogden, c.h.; Louria, r.h.; Aguirre, l.o.; Blance, l.i.; Potter, c.f.; Spivak, r.i.; Heisler, r.o.