Elephants Topple Leverett 13-6 as Puritans Win 13-7

Thrills, chills, and possible House football supremacy rode all the way yesterday in undefeated Eliot's 13 to 6 victory over previously unbeaten Leverett. At the same time, Winthrop's eleven scored, its first victory since 1945 and its third and fourth touchdowns in two years as it downed Dunster House, 13 to 7.

Elliot's finesse and through coaching held the powerful Bunnies to a 6-6 tie in the first half, despite repeated Leverett thrusts through the line. The pachyderms capitalized on a recovered fumble in the first quarter as Dave McGiffert, ace T-formation quarterback, passed to Dave Abbot for a touchdown.

Zimmerman to Gladstone

Leverett came right back with all its power to tie the score almost immediately. The big green team's triple threat Bob Zimmerman culminated the drive with a pass to Dick Gladstone for the score. Time ran out with Leverett driving again on the Eliot 12.

Outplayed in the first half, the Mastodons turned the tide completely in the third and fourth quarters, using their tremendous reserve strength to defeat the fast-tiring Bunnies. Two large penalties, a screen pass, and an end sweep by antelope-legs Tener Eckleberry provided the margin of victory, with John Quisenberry coming on to boot the conversion.

Overshadowed by this game, Winthrop won a thriller of its own on the adjacent field with two first half scores. The Puritans, however, had a withstand two Funster drives in the closing minutes of play, one of which ended in a TD.

As a result of yesterday's games, Kirkland and Eliot alone remained undefeated. The Deacons have a 4-0 record, and the Mastodons, 3-0. Their meeting is scheduled for November 10.