Indians Base Victory Hopes On T Attack, Powerful Line

Scatbacks Williams, Pensavalle Injured

By Gane J. Bokor, (Sports Editor, "The 'Dartmouth")

Once more, picturesque Harvard Stadium is the setting for the fifty-first meeting on the gridiron between Dartmouth's Big Green Eleven and its Crimson clad hosts. And at least for the Indians, this is one of the climax tests for which Coach De Ormond (Tuss) McLaughry has drilled his squad strenuously.

In this long-famous series between two of the Ivy League's oldest members, Harvard has a distinct superiority with 31 victories, 16 losses and three draw affairs. But there can be no denying that the Indian gridmen anticipate returning to the New Hampshire hills with number seventeen in a line of John Harvard's scalp pieces.

Pensavalle Out

Balancing Harvard's problem budget some 150 miles to the north was the news that both Scatbacks Conrad Pensavalle and Eddie Williams seem unable to play. In addition, Larry Perry, standout defensive halfback, and Jim Melville, second string pivot man, are not counted upon to even don their uniforms.

Pacing the forward wall is Captain Jud Hannigan, 200 pound tackle who has developed into a strong tackle in addition to his superb qualities of leadership. At the other post next to the wingmen is Jonathan Jenkins, a 210 pound letterman from last year who is best described as a rugged character in shoulder pads.

Three guards stand out in the persons of Stew Young, Jack Young, and Ray Truncellito. The former two are the sons of Lou Young, former University of Pennsylvania coach, whose oldest son captained the Dartmouth team which set back Cornell in the infamous "fifth down" affair. The last named gent moved up from the Jayvees a year ago and has played more than half of every game in the present campaign.

Center George Schreck is the team's iron man, having played more than fifty minutes in every-contest and every minute in two.

In the driver's seat of the split T formation is quarterback Joe Sullivan, a hard runner, good passer and extraordinary safety-man. The real power of the attack is generated by a pair of bruising full backs, Herb Carey and Fran O'Brien. Both of these big men are consistent ground gainers, with Carey being a vicious tackler to boot. The right halfback post has clearly been won by Hal Fitkin of Toledo, Ohio, who ran wild a week ago, chalking up both scores against Brown. With Pensavalle out of section, the final half back spot is a toss-up with John Costello and Dick O'Leary waging the fight.

Finally, the ends who will meet the opening kickoff are Dale Armstrong, converted back, who is another vicious tackler and good blocker, and Tom "Red" Rowe, a sophomore, who has started every game and is expected to haul down many an aerial deep in Cantab ground.