Screen Guild Member, Now at Law School, Denies Red Movie Menace

Albert E. Marre 1L, member of the Screen Writers Guild, sighs wearily when asked whether Hollywood is a nest of Communists, as the House Un-American Affairs Committee proclaims. "You're nobody in Hollywood unless you have money," he says with a touch of cynicism, "and if you have money you're not a Communist."

Marre worked for eighteen months in the celluloid capital, and at present is directing the Harvard Theater Workshop Production of "Henry IV." He asserts that he knows no Communists in the Guild, and adds that if there are any, they don't wield an erg of influence. "There are a few ineffectual left-wing liberals, with whose opinions most of Harvard would agree," says Marre, adding. "They do their best."

Marre is sure that there is no political consciousness in Hollywood, and he deplores this fact. "All the producers are interested in is dough," is his firm comment, "and the whole investigation is baseless."

Marre is Ex-Agent

Having acted in two pictures himself, Marre is also an ex-agent. He is sure that "Hollywood actors are no more Communists than they are fleas and any writers who are Reds get nowhere." He attended all meetings of the Guild that were said to be Communist-instigated, and affirms that none of the accusations are true.

Calling the right-wing Motion Picture Alliance "a comparatively vicious organization," Marre says that there is no danger from communism. Having directed a G.I. repretory theater in Berlin, he can boast of considerable stage and screen experience.