Varsity Runs Through First Contact Practice of Season

By William S. Fairfield

For the first time since the official start of the 1947 football campaign, Dick Harlow's Varsity squad went through a mid-week scrimmage yesterday afternoon.

Frustrated by a multitude of injuries, the head gridiron, mentor announced earlier this week, "I will hold a scrimmage as soon as I can get together enough able-bodied men to have a squad at least two deep at every position.

By calling up several members of the Jayvee tam, Harlow fulfilled the condition and a combined Crimson A, B, and C eleven simulated actual combat against the Junior Varsity for a full hour under the lights of Soldiers Field. "It did the boys a world of good," said Harlow later.

Miklos Returns

Frank Miklos, last year's second string blocking back behind Henry Goethals, was moved up to the quarterback post after tossing two scoring passes for the Jayvees against Dartmouth and held down that slot throughout the session.

Converted end John Fiorentino filled the center slot during the drill and the lanky former Boston College High center seemed to be regaining his form rapidly. Both Nick Rodis and Howle Foster played the dual positions of guard and tackle.

Armando "Stretch" Mazzone, another pivot prospect because of his work there at Everett High, remained at left end as the Varsity recled off repeated long gains through Chief Boston's defensive line.

Moffie Leads Backs

Hal Moffle broke away for four touchdowns to lead the Varsity backs and the diminutive tallback's play was generally up to the standard he set for himself in the Dartmouth fracas.

The hard running of fullback Sam Adams, 210-pound transfer from Tufts, was another feature of the scrimmage. Adams' plunging makes him more and more the likely choice to try and fill Vince Moravec's shoes.