Contact Work Lifts Crimson Squad Morale

Florentine Remains At Snap-back Post

By Robert W. Morgan jr.

Monday's nocturnal scrimmage, the first contact work in practice since the season officially opened, proved a tremendous boost to morale yesterday as the Varsity began pointing for Rutgers' rapid eleven this weekend.

As a further good sign, Dr. Quigley and his associates in Dillon smiled for the first time in many weeks yesterday when they got the daily query on injured players. Howie Houston and John Gorczynski have shown "very encouraging improvement" lately, and both these tackles now rate as possible starters.

End Bob Kennedy and tackle Chester Pierce are off the medical lists and ready for anything. Jim Kenary has also, improved, and may be in the Princeton game two weeks away.

John Fiorentino looks like Saturday's probable starting center at this point, with Jim Feinberg and Emil Drvaric flanking him at guard. The rest of the line must await further word on the injured players.

No more contact work will be in order this week. Yesterday the Varsity defended against Rutger's plays as run by the Jayvees. The rest of the afternoon was devoted to punting and passing workouts and a long, spirited signal drill.

Wally Flynn and Hal Moffie did the kicking. Throwing the passes were Chip Gannon, Ken O'Donnell, Frank Miklos, and Moffie.