Rodis to Shoulder Captaincy Chores

Mud Flies as Eleven Digs in for Rutgers; Team Arrives Today

Wind and rain blew cold on Soldiers Field Varsity football practice yesterday afternoon, but the squad was running hot. At the end of a soggy but spirited workout which kept the white slippery pigskin whipping through the darkness, Coach Dick Harlow announced that converted tackle Nick Rodis would be acting field captain to call the coin for the Rutgers kickoff tomorrow.

The 210-pound husky linemen returned to active duty last Saturday against Dartmouth after a layoff which dated back to the Boston university game. A guard by early season, profession, he will start tomorrow at left tackle, and Dean Markham will fill the same slot on center John Florentino's other side.

Like fullback Wally Flynn after the Virginia massacre, Florentino has had one week to forget about Holy Cross pass catching for a new set of duties. With some experience at the middle of the line from Boston College High, Florentino has adapted rapidly to his old job and was sparking plays with his smooth tosses yesterday.

Rutgers Rolls in Today

A formidable 42-man Rutgers aggregation which outweights the Crimson probable starting lineup by about 15 pounds to the man will work out briefly in the shadows of the Stadium this afternoon before returning to their headquarters in the Hotel Kenmore.

Odds on the outcome of tomorrow's meeting, the second in the history of the two, elevens, are steadily shifting to Coach Harvey Harman's Scarlet. Indicative of the relative power of Rutgers, two touchdowns superior to Harlow's men last year, was the announcement from New Brunswick, N.J., that fullback Al Malekoff and right half Harvey Grimsley, have been medically cleared to play out probably will not start.

Local fans dreaming of "Rutgers and Revenge" may recall that Malekoff set up Rutgers' 13 points last year with long interception runbacks, and Grimsley crossed the G-stripe for pay dirt.

Other tentative Crimson starters are Walt Coulson and Red Hill at, ends, Emil Drvaric and Jim Feinberg at guards. Around Flynn in the backfield are slated chip Gannon at wingback, Hal Moffle at tailback, and Kenny O'Donnell, who captained the squad for sixty minutes against Dartmouth last week, at quarterback.