Before Scarlet Fever Hit

Pictured above is the high-water mark of last year's Crimson gridiron success. The date is November 2, the place, the Stadium. Undefeated in five starts and rated twentieth nationally, the Varsity is on the move again, this time against Rutgers.

Chip Gannon has just bolted 37 yards off right tackle to the enemy 15-yard line on the third play of the game. Four smashes have produced a first down on the six. The crowd of 18,000 is pleading for a touchdown. Now, after two line plunges have failed to gain, Leo Flynn is drifting back, trying to hit Kenny O'Donnell (42) for a score.

That O'Donnell didn't get his mitts on the pass, in fact that Harvard didn't score all afternoon is history now. Bucky Harrison tried a field goal right after the aboye play failed, but the kick was wide and Rutgers took over. They proceeded to prove that they are a 12 o'clock team despite their 9 o'clock name.

They did everything right. They used flankers, double flankers, spinners, practically a new formation each play. Everytime the Crimson drove into scoring position, the attack stalled. Everytime they passed, it seemed as if Rutgers intercepted.

In the third quarter, with the score at 0 to 0, halfback Al Malekof grabbed a Crimson serial on his own 13-yard line and boomeranged all the way to the Harvard 12. Midway through the fourth period, he did it again, this time returning from the midfield stripe to the 18. Rutgers had its 13 points.

One thing is certain. The Crimson doesn't need any warning about the prowess of this year's Rutger's team. The Scarlet eleven that will line up in the Stadium this afternoon is the same one which won here last fall 13 to 0, except for a couple of new men who have displaced 1946 starters still with the squad. And football players, like elephants, have long memories.