Harlow Preps Varsity in 45 Minute Grind

A and B Squads Hold Offensive, Defensive Scrimmages with Jayvees as Injuries Abate

By Robert Carswell

Dick Harlow returned to his old time policy of teaching his boys football by having them play football at Soldiers Field yesterday. With the stream of injuries at its lowest point since Virginia, Harlow sent his A and B teams through 45 minutes of offensive and defensive scrimmage against Chief Boston's Jayvees, who simulated Bruins.

The result was probably one of the most spirited and satisfactory practices of recent weeks, and, perhaps as important, as the whole squad emerged from combat unhurt, something of a record for this fall. With Chip Gannon, Paul Lazzaro and Leo Flynn doing most of the gaining on the ground, Jim Kenary's passing made the yardage in the air for the Varsity contingent. Coaches did not risk Kenary on say hard running or blocking assignment.

On the defense, the line and the backers up drew plaudits as guards Feinberg and Dravaric piled things up in the middle with guest and center Chuck Glynn, still sporting an encased writs, generally beat ball carriers to holes in, the line and disposed of them. Mel Friedman, half-time Jayvee, sometime Varsity replacement, put in a full afternoon at backer-up and as a replacement for Kenary on running plays.

When the scrimmage ceased, Harlow and assistant kept up the tempo with signal drills, kicking under pressure and forward pass offense and defense and toward the end of the afternoon people in the enclosed practice arena started smiling for the first time in weeks.

Injuries for the first time in weeks did not provide the football news, but the picture still is not clear. Kenary still is not completely recovered and Don Stone, former starting center, has not yet been cleared for action. Physically the Crimson emerged from the Tiger fray far better than the score might indicate.

One other development materialized when Justin Walsh, a former Jayvee injured in the Dartmouth game, worked out for the Varsity A squad as backer-up in pass defense drills.

Varsity A team lineup: W. Flynn, le; Houston, lt; Dravaric, lg; Glynn, c; Feinberg, rg; Pierce, rt; Felt, re; Kenary, qb; Gannon, rhb; L. Flynn, lhb; Lazzaro, fb.