Elliott Says Congress Backs Aid to Europe but Wants House-Cleaning

"The tone and temper of the current special session show that Congressmen know aid to Europe is needed," William Y. Elliott, Leroy B. Williams Professor of History and Political Science and staff director for the Herter Committee, declared yesterday.

In his opinion, the only problems at issue are the extent of the aid to be proffered and what European governments must do in the way of internal "house-cleaning" to merit it.

Professor Elliott stated that "there is no question that Europe needs some aid, and quickly" but declined to elucidate his statement or comment on what sort of bill is likely to pass Congress because his official position would make such statements "highly injudicious."

Committee Favored Aid

In its report on Italy and France, the Herter committee recommended that aid be granted Europe to help rebuild countries with cultural backgrounds similar to that of the United States and Great Britain, but did not name any specific sum.

According to Professor Elliott, the committee will issue two reports this coming week, one on sources of funds for organization of foreign aid, and the second on changes needed in governmental powers, including export control, to make a foreign aid program effective.