Expert Sees Gain In Cancer Battle

Encouraging gains in the nation-wide battle against cancer were reported by a University pathologist and the director of the National Cancer Institute in a meeting at the Medical School yesterday afternoon which opened an entire week of conferences.

Dr. Warren Shields, assistant professor of Pathology, called the use of radio-active isotypes to fight the cell-disease with atomic radiations "the most important advance in medical research since the invention of the microscope."

International Front

More international cooperation has been achieved in cancer research than in any other sphere, political or otherwise, observed Shields, citing the international conferences at St. Louis this September.

Further advances with the utilization of hormones, experimentally successful against cancers of the breast, were described by Shields, Before be spoke, Dr. Leonard Sheele of the National Institute described in an extended address the fund-raising procedures his organization currently employs in its drive to obtain a concrete foundation for all activities related to its general goals.