The Belligerent Boomerang

Thoroughly chilled by a strong Communist wind blowing through Europe, the President's Committee on European Reconstruction recently advocated a long-range program of economic aid to stalwart continental democracies. Mr. Averill Harriman, committee chairman, spoke in cold, harsh tones of survival. A ruthless and determined Russian drive for world domination could be stalled only by a speedy resurrection of such democratically minded nations as Germany, Austria, France, and Italy. While a 17 billion dollar loan is well-designed for the task, Mr. Harriman's enthusiasm seems to have overwhelmed his logic, for he also advises an immediate withdrawal of all aid to those countries which might in the future come under Kremlin influence.

The Emergency Reconstruction Program, as endorsed by Secretary of State Marshall, calls for interim aid to pull France, Italy and Austria through the winter, and a long-term subsidization of the sixteen nations in western Europe. Spread over a periods of four years, the ERP intends to thwart Russian expansion through a rebirth of European industry and by fostering confidence in democratic forms of government. Although U. S. loans will provide the necessary funds, the actual burden of economic recovery rests with each individual nation. Those countries receiving American aid must insure their recovery by stringent budget supervision, a complete stabilization of national currencies, and the use of export profits solely to pay off current debts. The mechanics of such a plan are unassailable. Each nation can a block of strong, competent democracies facing Russia would soothe a fidgety State Department.

Unfortunately the political requirements attached to the reconstruction project are singularly ill-suited to its purpose. By demanding a guaranteed anti-Communist government in each of the sixteen nations, Mr. Harriman ranks governmental ideology, above mass hunger, a stipulation which can only reduce the effectiveness of his plan. Any nation with a strong Communist party could conceivably be denied aid. This would result in a further infiltration of Russian ideas at the expense of American prestige.

One of the greatest attributes of the ERP lies in the freedom of economic action granted each nation. But this trust in the financial ability of each nation will mean little to Europeans when the state Department insists on national purification before the flow of dollars. The avowed purpose of Mr. Harriman's project is to renew confidence in democratic government and to build a European buffer against Russia. Any ill-advised plan to cut off every country smudged by Communism can only serve to defeat these purposes.