Jackson, Nadherny, Furse Ran and Passed Bulldogs to Victory in Bowl

Harlow Recalls No Miscalculations, Mistakes as Yale's Power Decides

By Robert Carswell and Robert W. Morgan

"We played all the football that was in us," said Richard C. Harlow after the Crimson lost its fourth game in a row to the Big Blue of New Haven, and most everybody agreed. Dick Harlow's team turned in its best game of the year, offensively and defensively, but like last season the Bulldog backs were too big and too fast; and Yale blasted to a 31 to 21 win in the 64th Harvard-Yale football game.

Brawn and speed may have meant the difference but the undercurrent of strategy worked out on practice fields in New Haven and Cambridge this fall predetermined the action and turned the ballgame into an offensive battle. Neither team had much trouble moving the ball as the Crimson unveiled a series of new maneuvers involving sweeps and cutbacks while Blue pulverized with variations of their standard stuff, mostly effected by a pair of backs named Jackson and Nadherny neither of whom looked very injured.

"They packed their defenses nicely," Howie Odell, the Yale coach commented Saturday, "with that eight-man line variation." He thought his team had reacted satisfactorily, however, adding that "we should have thrown more long ones."

Nobody Fooled

"Yale showed nothing we had not anticipated," Harlow said, "I'm not sorry about a thing--except that we lost. That Levi Jackson is just a great football player." Assistant coach Bob Margarita explained that Yale end play had ruined a series of sweeps and handoffs that the Crimson had been working on during the week, but that the same defense-formation opened up the middle of the Blue line for the Crimson.

In both dressing rooms most people agreed that although Jackson, Nadherny, and Furse wrought the destruction, the two 15-yard penalties against the Crimson in the third period gave the Bulldogs the opportunities and turned the tide toward the Blue. The first nullified Paul Lazzaro's twisting run through center for 35 yards to the Yale 10, and the second, for roughing the kicker, set up the Eli's third score by giving them a first down on the 48.

Crimson players thought the Blue line "wasn't as big and didn't hit as hard as last year" but the backs were just as hard to stop. As the tackles and the guards once again played close to 60-minute ball, they were accompanied by left end Wally Flynn who stayed in for close to 55 minutes without having his end turned. Howie Houston, from his left tackle position, made more stops than any other Crimson lineman, and Yale thought him one of the best tackles they had faced all season.

In the backfield it was the same as in the Brown game with Chip Gannon, Hal Moffle and Jim Kenary gaining consistently, as Paul Lazzaro, the diminutive Crimson fullback, played the best game of his career at Harvard repeatedly slashing through the center of the Blue line while Prchlik and others were blocked away.

In the area of revelations, trainer Jimmy Cox revealed after the game that Gannon had played the whole season with a pair of injuries, one received in spring practice and the other this summer. In the Brown and Yale games he were painful leg wrappings to protect the injuries which were aggravated whenever Chip did contact work.

With the season now over and the coaches getting home at nights for the first time in weeks, Harlow commented on how critical his center situation had been. With Chuck Glynn carrying his arm in a cast, John Florentine had to enter every ball game to pass the long ones to the kickers. "This in itself weakened us terribly," Harlow said, "since no deception was possible. Everyone in the world know when we were going to kick."

Harvard letter winners: W. Flynn, Houston, Drvaric, Glynn, Feinberg, Gorcaynski, Hill, O'Donnell, Moffic, Gannon, Freedman, Kenary, Warren, L. Flynn, Brady, O'Connell, Noonan, Roche, Shafer, Goodrich, Lazzaro, Miklos, Florentine, Folt, Kennedy, Mazzone, Keiver, Markham, Pierce, Harrison, Drennan, Middendorf, Rodis, Guidera, D. Stone