McCurdy Eligible for Bradley Game

Ivy League's Timely Nod to Star Guard Raises Five's Hopes

By William S. Fairfield

Crimson basketball hopes for victory in the game with Bradley Tech tonight at 9:30 o'clock in the Boston Garden took a decided jump yesterday as the Ivy League Rules Committee finally came through with an affirmative vote on the eligibility of Walt McCurdy, six-foot guard who was named most valuable player in the Navy for his stellar role with the armed service championship Iowa Seahawks last year.

Out for his fourth win in five starts, coach Bill Barclay will start the same five men who got the nod against Tufts last Saturday night, but McCurdy and Bill Prior, who gave a creditable performance at the pivot post against the Jumbos in his first real chance, are slated for plenty of action against the tall men from Peoria, Illinois.

Enemy Riding High

Bradley Tech will present the ultimate in the two-platoon system. The Midwesterners are so deep in reserves, in fact, that they have played three evening double-headers so far this year, winning all six games to chalk up a perfect record. Boston University will open the Garden's evening sports program at 8 o'clock against Syracuse.

McCurdy, the set-shot artist the Crimson has missed so badly, was declared eligible on a 4 to 3 count, with Cornell casting the deciding ballot. "He's just as good as Saul Mariaschin," said a pleased Bill Barclay recently.

Transfer Rules Foul McCurdy

The question of the fast, experienced McCurdy's eligibility arose over the recently restored Ivy League ruling that a transfer student must spend two terms in residence before competing in varsity sports.

McCurdy could have resigned from the Navy last January in time for the spring term but elected to finish his officer training since a wartime regulation, in effect at that time, required only one term of residence for athletic competition. When the emergency rule was thrown out in March, it was too late for McCurdy to resign and enroll at Harvard. Probable Starting Lineups HARVARD    BRADLEY TECH Brady  RF  Ricel Davis  LF  Melchlorre Hauptfuhrer  C  P. Unruh Gannon  RG  Wilcoxon Henry  LG  Humerickhouse