AVC Rebukes Hotel Ousting Of Armenians

Commander Blasted For Denial of Fete

The University American Veterans Committee lashed out this week at what it called "uninformed intolerance" in the recent action of the Commander Hotel when it canceled a "send-off" dinner for 35 Armenian-Americans who were about to return to Soviet Armenia.

In a statement made after "thorough investigation," the AVC cited Frank Boland, hotel manager, for breach of contract, Mayor Lynch of Cambridge for terming Boland's action "rugged Americanism," the Amvets, who threatened to picket the dinner 400 strong if it were held, and former Cambridge councilman Christopher Carolina for allowing his campaign sound truck to protest the gathering "without adequate investigation of the circumstances."

Boland Reticent

Commenting on the AVC charges, Boland said that the veteran's organization was "merely trying to stir up trouble," and said the matter was in the hands of the hotel's attorney. "We don't want to try this case in the newspapers," the attorney, Judge Louis L. Green '02, said yesterday.

After the cancellation of the dinner on October 22, the morning before it was to take place, the Armenian Progressive League refused to accept a refund of a $200 deposit, handing the case to their lawyer. No court action has yet been initiated.

The AVC statement said that investigation had shown the Armenian League is "not a Communist or Communist-front group."