Booklet in Social Relations Field Supplies Course Data

Department Innovation Furnishes Glimpse Into Reading Lists, Exams, Lectures

Harried study card jugglers, armed with nothing but a pen and a sketchy list of courses, will find some relief this month, at least in one department of the University.

The Social Relations Society, working with the Department's faculty, has published a precedent-setting pamphlet that gives full description of next term's courses, together with reading lists and copies of last year's final exams.

Never before in the history of the College has 'sucha wealth of pre-gaine information been available for prospective delivers into the my stories of the local best-seller known as "The Final Announcement of Courses of Instruction to be Given by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences."

Includes Old Exams

For every one of the 32 undergraduate and graduate courses that the Social Relations Department expects to give next Spring, the mimeographed brochure includes tentative reading lists and 100-word summaries of course content straight from the lecturer's months.

Also supplied is a copy of the most recent, final exam for each of the courses that has been given before by the young department.

A five-man committee of the recently-organized Society, under the direction of Abraham Rogatnick '46, has been working on the project throughout the term. The unique new course catalogue they have fashioned is now on sale in the Social Relations Library in Emerson Hall.

Handy as it may be, both to concentrators and distribution-seekers. Society President Donald H. Hunt '49 insists that the new pamphlet is not designed to take the place of the usual green-or gray-backed official volume, but rather to supplement that familiar tone. It is 'not for the selecting of easier courses, but for the easier selecting of courses."

Supplements Catalogue

Next Spring the Society intends to publish a printed booklet describing all Social Relations courses given throughout the year and including some comment by students. It hopes to publish yearly editions thereafter, if the first two offerings with popular approval.

Besides its course catalogue project, the Society has sponsored a number of field trips and discussion meetings on Social Relations topics. All these are planned in an endeavor to help members correlate the diverse branches of the infant department, and to weld together the graduate and undergraduate levels.