Student Council Pledges Active Tutorial Interest

Kuhn Committee to Circulate Questionnaire in Next Few Weeks to All Departments

Student Council action and vigilance on the state of the tutorial problem were promised yesterday by President Levin H. Campbell '48 and Roger S. Kuhn '46, chairman of the Council Committee on Curriculum and Tenure.

Both men cited the need for keeping the issue alive and asserted that Council action would be forthcoming whenever conditions became favorable for reconstituting the tutorial system to the level it once held.

Kuhn declared that the tutorial issue "has to be kept 'before the students," while Campbell said that the Council had had the problem in view all along.

Neither, however, saw any immediate possibility of success for a drive at the present time.

"To make the Faculty realize that the tutorial situation is being watched," Kuhn's committee will distribute a lengthy questionnaire to all departments within the next few weeks. Kuhn said that the poll would determine whether the departments are maintaining tutorial at the same level as a year ago, and ask for estimates on the duration of the existing teacher-tutor shortage.

In a letter to the CRIMSON, Campbell asserted that "those of us who fought for retention of the system last year know how unpopular it is with many members of the Faculty and the Administration." He also predicted that the practical difficulties now standing in the way of tutorial would have considerably abated within two years. "Then a full scale effort should be made to restore tutorial throughout the College," he added.