California Duo Out-Argues Crimson Debaters in Initial Setback of Term

Crimson debaters suffered their first setback of the term at the hands of a male-and-female due from the University of California last night in a well-filled Winthrop House Junior Common Room.

Miss Juanita Olson and Frank DeMattei, representing the U. of C. at Berkeley, won a unanimous decision by their statement of the affirmative on the topic "Resolved: That federal control of labor unions should be increased." Speaking for Harvard and the negative were Debate Council member Roy G. Clouse '50 and Ellis Kaplan '46.

Three Judges

The judges of the debate included: Morton R. Godine and Paul N. Yivisaker, both teaching fellows in Government, and Paul R. Nichols, teaching fellow in Economics.

Main arguments of the evening centered around the problem of whether government control of the unions would solve or help the abuses existing in labor today. The judges were unanimous in their decision the DeMattel's speech was the best of the debate.

Next scheduled contest will be on Monday, when the Debate Council meets a team from Osgood Hall, largest law school in Canada, in the Dunster House Senior Common Room.