Basketball Team Faces Revamped Indian Hoopsters

By Irvin M. Horowitz

A revamped tribe of Dartmouth Indians will do its inhospitable best tonight to spoil the Varsity basketball team's annual hegira to the hills of Hanover, where the teams meet in an Ivy League contest.

Since the Green suffered a 58 to 45 defeat at the hands of the Varsity earlier this month, Coach Elmer Lampe has lost the services of two of his players. Center Aud Brindley was graduated, and forward Paul Campbell was declared scholastically ineligible.

But the Indians' new lineup, which includes Andy Carstensen at center and Emil Hudak at guard--Captain Chip Coleman was moved to forward--has shown surprising strength. Dartmouth gave Holy Cross a dogged battle before bowing by 11 points last week, and held league-leading Columbia to a five-point victory at Hanover Saturday night. Always tough on its home floor, the Big Green has lost only six games in ten years on native grounds.

The Varsity, whose current league record of two victories and four losses tops the Indians by a half-game, will take the floor tonight with its regular lineup of Captain Saul Mariaschin and Leo Page at forwards, George Hauptfuhrer at center, and Bill Brady and Chip Gannon at guards. Six points for Hauptfuhrer will tie Wyndol Gray's Varsity record of 321 points for a single season.

A preliminary at Hanover pits the Crimson Freshmen five against an undefeated crop of Indian yearlings. Like their big brothers, the Dartmouth Freshmen have been invincible at home, and have scored at least 76 points in every game this year.