March Debut Scheduled for New Advocate

Editor Watt Commits Revived Publication to Neutral Stand On Current Political Issues

The post-war Advocate will first see the light of day on Monday, Mach 24, just five days before the start of the spring vacation, according to an announcement made yesterday by Donald B. Watt, Jr. '47, interim editor of the magazine.

At the same time, Watt committed the Advocate to a non-partisan policy on national and international affairs, but declared that College subjects would "very definitely" be within the scope of the magazine's editorial page.

Talent Search

He also opened the campaign for contributions for the first issue, appealing to graduate and Radcliffe students--as well as undergraduates--for short stories, poems, criticisms, and especially articles involving "special knowledge." He cited veterans as a good source of this "special knowledge."

"We're also looking for art work," Watt said. "But no abstraction and no cortoons, in spite of the under-developed state of the latter art here."

The Critical Task

The announcement stated that the editorial purpose of the Advocate was "to provide an outlet for the best in student writing at Harvard, which means that the job of the Advocate Board is critical as well as creative."

Watt would not, however, name the opening date of competitions for the Advocate board. Under present arrangements with the magazine's trustees, the six-man group now working on the first issue is serving only in an interim capacity. A permanent board of editors will be elected after a formal competition and then only in the event that publication plans have been approved at a full meeting of the trustees, scheduled to take place sometime in March.