Wrestlers Sweep Middle Positions To Beat Indians

Pete Fuller Pins McTernahan, Clinches Meet for Crimson

After dropping the first two classes, one by a pin and one by a fall, the Varsity wrestling team proceeded to take points in five of the next six bouts to beat a scrappy Dartmouth squad, 16 to 14, last night at the Indoor Athletic Building and thereby became the only Varsity to scalp an Indian team on an otherwise dismal day for the Crimson. Both teams used Freshmen by a pre-match agreement.

By getting a fall over Fritz McTernahan, Varsity heavyweight Pete Fuller took the unlimited class and clinched the meet for the Crimson. The 175-pound Indian fought all the way but was no match for Fuller who pinned him in 2:35 of the third period with a body press.

In probably the best bout of the match, Freshman captain Ray Rogers dropped a 6 to 1 decision to Pete Birdsall of the Big Green at the 175-pound class. Birdsall showed exceptional balance to ride Rogers who pulled nearly every hold in a wrestler's handbook.

Ray Still Undefeated

Dan Ray piled up five minutes and 40 seconds of time advantage to decisively decision Randy Gilmore, a regular Indian 155-pounder who came down to the 145-pound class especially for this match. In the 155-pound class Sandy Jones turned in a neat decision over Pete Larson of Dartmouth by the score of 6 to 2.

Bill Currier, another import from Jay Thomas's Yardling squad, won a 4 to 3 decision over Indian Neil Beard in the 136-pound weight while captain Don Louria fought to a 2 to 2 draw with Fred Klett at the 165-pound class in a match in which almost all the action was inconclusive sparring from standing.

At the 121-pound class Yardling Bob Dennison ran into a Dartmouth light-weight, saved up for the Harvard match, and was pinned in 2:24 of the third period while at 128 Jim Birney, substituting for the injured Indian captain, Bob Bach, decisioned Pete Knox, 6 to 2.