HLUE Braves GOP Upsurge To Rally Local Progressives

Internal Battling Concluded, Liberal Union Plans Action On New Legislative Measures

Peace reigns once again among the more than one-hundred members of the Liberal Union after the vigorous fall term political crusades, and the violent upheaval in September which unseated a Communist-dominated executive council.

Rallying-ground for University men with left-of-center sympathies, the H.L.U. faces the spring term with its many political functions loosely united behind plans for new state legislation.

Backing for a bill which would lower the Massachusetts voting age to 18, and endorsement of state college conversion proposals are already planned by H.L.U. hierarchy. The group will also campaign against alleged racial discrimination on the part of college entrance authorities.

Doorbells Ring

Intense activity during the past four months has plunged the organization into the thick of state, national, and University progressive action. In a door-bell ringing campaign during October and November, Liberal Union men clambered on the state political bandwagon, supporting Martha Sharp and Oliver S. Allen for seats in the House. Both were defeated by incumbents Joseph Martin and Mrs. Edith Nourse Rogers.

Anti-lynching demonstrations throughout the country last month drew active H.L.U. support, and two student representatives were sent to national meetings in Washington, D. C.

Helped Council Reform

Pending reform of the Student Council Constitution was aided in part by the needlings of the Liberal Union. It was also quick to rally the student body to the support of Harlow Shapley, director of the College Observatory, during his stormy October disagreement with Representative John Rankin of the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

Originally an interventionist wing of the pacifist Harvard Union, former College liberal group, the insurgent H.L.U. broke away from the larger organization in 1941 during a disagreement over American entry into the war.

Official organ of the group is the "Harvard Progressive," 20-page magazine carrying articles on national and inter-national affairs, as well as short stories, poems, and literary reviews. Recently enlarged and expended, it accepts articles from college students throughout the nation, and anticipates country-wide circulation.