Club 100 Hit By Boycott as Bias Remains

All-College Committee Takes Threatened Step as Jarvis Stands by Jim Crow Policy

The University-wide Committee on Discrimination called for a complete Harvard boycott on the club 100 yesterday afternoon. The boycott will be enforced until the discriminatory practices, which denied admission to two Negro undergraduates on Saturday, are abandoned by the Club's management.

In carrying through the second of three possible steps against the Club outlined on Wednesday evening, the Committee asked all members of the University not to patronize the offending establishment.

The Committee threatened the boycott at its last meeting, but made it contingent on the attitude of the Club at 5 o'clock yesterday. Before the deadline had been reached, however, Thaxter Swan '45, Chairman of the Committee, announced that talks with Edward A. Counihan '36, the Club's lawyer, had convinced him that no change in policy was contemplated.

According to Swam, Counihan also indicated that John B. Jarvis, manager of the Club, had committed himself to the established policy, and that he would not change his mind under pressure. Committee Statement

The statement released by the Committee follows:

Since the management of the Club 100 has refused to reconsider its position on racial discrimination, we, the members of the University-wide Committee on Discrimination, are forced to call on all members of the Harvard community to aid us now, by not patronizing the Club 100.

We feel that the Club's policy of openly admitting the public voids any justification of racial discrimination it might advance on the basis of a "club" status.

Much of the regular patronage of the Club is composed of Harvard students. We feel that a boycott which is dericted against the undemocratic principles of discrimination will be supported by those students the club is most anxious to have as its patrons.

We regret, in a sense, having to recommend this step, but we feel that it is the only kind of language which will be un- derstood by the management of the Club 100.

With the boycott now invoked, the Committee is left with the third recommendation made on Wednesday evening-- that of setting up a picket line outside the Club--as their last method of putting pressure on the Club 100. Present plans call for the decision as to whether or not the picket line shall be established to come sometime Sunday evening